Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble
Spring may be a long way off yet, but if you’re like me then you’ll be getting through this bitter cold British weather by dreaming about warmer days. Strawberries are a fruit that I always associate with hot Summer days, and though they may not be in season yet, combined with some rhubarb they make the perfect filling for a comforting crumble.
- 6-8 stalks of rhubarb
- 1 large punnet of strawberries
- 2 tbsp table sugar
- 1 cup of plain gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- Half fill a medium sized saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, trim the ends of the rhubarb stalks and then cut in to pieces about 1/2 inch in size. Once the water is boiling add the rhubarb and table sugar. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer, stirring regularly, until the mixture reduces to a think syrup consistency.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and add to the rhubarb once it has finish cooking and the heat has been turned off.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, caster sugar and butter using your fingers until it forms a crumb consistency.
- Pour the rhubarb and strawberry mixture into a tart dish, and cover with the crumble.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, at 180’C for 40-50 minutes, until the crumble is golden and the fruit is bubbling.