Summer Fruits Sponge Cake (GF)
You can’t beat a classic victoria sponge cake for the perfect tea party and picnic dessert, but it’s also no harm to give a classic dessert a fresh twist. This gluten-free vanilla sponge cake is layered with fresh summer fruits and whipped cream, it would look pretty in the middle of any table setting or picnic blanket and is simple to make. This cake went down a treat at my house last weekend, it was light and fluffy, sweet and delicate, perfect after dinner or as a lunch time treat.
- 225g butter/margarine
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml fresh whipping cream
- 1 punnet strawberries
- mixed berries
- Grease and line a round cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then add in the vanilla.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and gently fold into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and spread out evenly. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180’C for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to completely cool before slicing in half across the middle, to create two layers.
- In a large bowl whip the cream, adding a tsp of caster sugar for sweetness. Chop the strawberries into halves.
- Begin to create layers: a layer of cake, a layer of sliced strawberries, a layer of cream, a layer of strawberries, a layer of cake. Finish by spreading cream over the top layer and decorating with mixed berries.