What’s in my Bag? | #Bobbionthego
When I was small my favourite TV programme was Braney and Friends, a children’s programme about a big friendly purple dinosaur; and Barney had a bag, the Barney Bag he called it, and it was a magical bag that always seemed to hold a never ending amount of supplies. Well, my handbag often resembles that magical bag, although my handbag is not a bottemless pit. I carry and endless supply of things that I may need ‘just in case’ around with me on a day to day bases, I have sacrificed many bags to the weight of what I carry, but yet everything always comes in handy.
Summer time is no different, especially if you are a commuter, especially is the weather is warm and especially if you use public transport; there are many things you find yourself wanting and need in the heat and on your travels that you may wish you packed in your handbag before you left that morning. So, with that in mind, I am sharing what I am carrying in my bag at the moment, along with some tips on how to stay cool, hydrated and fresh this Summer.
1. A bottle of water. Number one tip for staying cool and fresh in the Summer heat, and not passing out on your morning commute: carry a water bottle with you where ever you go! If you don’t have a re-usable bottle, like this gorgeous Clinique one (more about this coming soon), be sure you buy a bottle of water before you get on the train or bus. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, to replace any fluids lost by sweating.
2. Sunglasses. I always carry a pair in my bag during the Summer months, especially because the weather here in London is quite unpredictable and I might need them when I leave the house in the morning, but then could be reaching for them by lunchtime. Sunglasses aren’t just a fashion statement, they have an important function, protection your eyes from harmful UV rays since you can’t exactly put SPF on your retina. Also, too much squinting in the sunshine causes wrinkles!
3. A book. My New Year’s Resolution this year was so read more, and so I carry whatever book I’m reading with me on my travel. Reading is also a great way to help you stay relaxed and unstressed in the morning, taking your attention away from that to-do list you have to get to. At the moment I am reading Quite by Susan Cain (PS. Book Review on The Gratitude Diaries goes up on Friday).
4. Card Holder. This small pouch is a great way to stay organised and keep your travel cards/contactless cards close at hand, to avoid those awkward moments spent rooting in your bag at the barrier.
5. Pen. Because you always need a pen.
6. Facial Wipes. I always carry a packet of wipes with me, they are great if you need to freshen up, clean your hands, or to simply remove your make up on the way home at the end of the day.
7. Plasters. Plasters are a handbag essential all year round, but especially so in Summer when you end up with Summer shoe related injuries.
8. Tampons. Every woman should carry tampons. All year round. No excuses.
9. Handcream. Carrying heavy handbags can be wearing on those delicate hands.
10. Deodorant. Travel sized cans of body spray and antiperspirants are the perfect size for handbags, and having one on hand means you’ll never be caught smelling bad when you get to where you’re going. Trains and the underground in the Summer months can leave you sweaty and sticky by the time you get to your destination, but a quick discrete spritz and you’re good to keep going.
11. Hand Gel. Hand gel is in my bag all seasons. I love it in the Summer to get rid of that sticky palms feelings you sometimes get when your hands are sweaty. It also keeps my hands clean of any dirt or germs that might get transferred from fellow commuters.
12. Bobbi Brown Instant Pretty Eyes. You never know when you might need to take your look from day to night, or to simply freshen up the make-up you’ve managed to sweat off at some point throughout the day! Bobbi Brown has had my back this month with this adorable, handbag sized palette, complete with 4 eyeshadow shades and a gorgeous blush; the pigmentation is great and the colours can be applied with your fingertips so no need to carry brushes!
13. Suncream. A travel sized suncream is always a good idea to have on hand in the Summer months in case you end up sitting out in the sun for a long period of time, you need to have something to protect your exposed skin. As Baz Luhrmann would say, wear sunscreen!
14. Face Mist. I love a toning water or face mist in the Summer; on a hot sunny day there is something so refreshing and relieving about giving yourself a refreshing spritz to cool down. Just be careful if you are wearing make-up not to spray too much, or to rub it in as you’ll just end up with panda eyes.
15. Tissue. Someone will always need a tissue.
16. Lip gloss & colour. Lips can get really dried out in the Summer heat, it’s a good idea to keep a moisturising lip product in your bag for those chapped lip moments. I also always carry a lip colour in case I want to freshen up my make up, or give my lips a pop of colour; I go for a colour that is seasonal but that I know will go with everything, like Revlon’s Unapologetic.
17. Perfume. Like the deodorant, perfume can make a huge difference to how you feel and mostly how you smell on a hot Summers commute. My go to freshen up fragrance of the moment is Jo Malone London, Red Roses.
18. Phone. No elaboration needed!
19. Bobby pins & hair ties. I love wearing my hair down, especially since I’ve grown it down so long; however there are moments on hot days, or at the end of a long day, that you just need to sweep back your hair into a high pony-tail.
20. Mirror. Always handy to have to keep an eye on things.
21. Reusable shopping bag. Ever since the plastic bag tax has been implemented, carry a reusable is essential! Don’t get caught for a bag at the till, carry your own.