Urban Grey | ft. REN Skincare
We haven’t exactly been having the best weather here in the UK recently, and therefore we haven’t been getting as much vitamin D as we should, which can result in dull looking skin. Add to that tiredness, possibly dehydration, and exposure to pollutants in the air and the result is urban grey; dull, over-worked skin that looks like it needs a trip to the Bahamas to recover! Well, if like me, you don’t have a trip to the Bahamas scheduled into your diary for this Summer, then I’ve found some amazing skincare products that will banish dull skin and make you glow from the inside out.
With a family wedding coming up this August, I have been taking extra care with my skincare routine to make sure that my skin is healthy and hydrated; having a good skincare routine is key and it’s really important to remember that no product will be an instant fix, you need to use them regularly to see the effects. If you want to find out more about what skincare I have been using to get my ‘beauty sleep’, then have a read of my most recent night-time skincare post. The products featured in this post make up part of my morning routine, and combined with a healthy lifestyle and lots of water, I have to say my skin is in the best conditioned it’s been in a long time.
As with a previous skincare routine post, I’m going to take you through the what, when and why of these products, all of which I highly recommend and most of which are not overly pricey.
- What? NEW REN Skincare Flash Defence Anti-Pollutant Mist.*
- When? This little skincare wonder product can actually be used at anytime throughout the day, and can be applied over moisturiser and make-up if you want to keep it topped up. I personally like to use it right after I’ve cleansed, be that morning, after work or before bed.
- Why? I love the concept behind this product, and I have a feeling that it’s going to become a cult beauty product. This little mist is packed with skin loving ingredients such as Zinc, Quercetin and Amino Acids, which boost the skins defence against harmful pollutants and UV light and therefore reduces oxidative stress in cells. The result is skin that is protected and glowing. Combined with a moisturiser containing an SPF, this is the perfect anti-ageing treatment for any skin type or age; remember you are never too young to protect your skin from damage caused by UV light, and therefore to prevent premature ageing.
- What? Olay 2in1 Hydration + Radiant Glow Daily Moisturiser with SPF15
- When? I have been using this as my daily moisturiser, applying in the mornings after cleansing and toning. It works great as a base for make-up.
- Why? The first thing I look for in a moisturiser is an SPF, and Olay is great for that. This cream is the same formula as the Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin, as I had been using, but with added light reflecting particles, which give the skin a gorgeous dewy glow and a radiant sun-kissed look. All I’ve been using on top of this most days is a brushing of my current favourite bronzer by Clinique. Unlike some ‘glowing’ products that I’ve used in the past, this cream doesn’t block my pores and the light reflecting particles don’t end up looking too glittery.
- What? Maybelline Age Rewind Eye Concealer in Light
- When? On mornings that my under eyes need a little more help, normally due to being dehydrated or having stayed up too late the night before, I’ve been using this concealer.
- Why? I am a huge fan of the FitMe concealer, but I’ve found this one to be a lighter formula, which is perfect for the Summer. Not only does this concealer cover dark circles, but it also contains Goji Berry extracts to actually combat the source of the problem. The formula blends beautifully and is bright and highlighting without being cakey.
- What? Revlon Photoready Face Perfecting Primer
- When? On mornings I know my make-up will need a bit of a helping hand to go further I use this primer after my moisturiser, all over the face including as an eye primer.
- Why? The consistency of the primer is beautiful, it leaves the skin looking even and smooth without feeling like an extra layer sitting on your face. I have been using this for a few months now, and I find that it really lifts my complexion on days that my skin is looking a bit tired; unlike some primers it doesn’t dry to a dull matte finish, but instead has a subtle dewy glow. It also makes my make-up last all day, even if I am just apply a brushing of bronzer, it helps everything stay in place and keeps me looking fresh.
- What? Liz Earle Brightening Treatment Mask
- When? This mask is a morning mask, which I love the idea of, it can also be used whenever you feel your skin needs a quick pick-me-up.
- Why? This mask contains active ingredients of Aloe Vera and Witch Hazel, two ingredients I love to see in skincare, as well as white clay. It has a beautiful refreshing smell and a creamy consistency, and on an early morning when you’re trying to motivate yourself to get going, this mask is like a mini spa treatment. After using the skin feels and looks fresh, lifted and awake. This is a great product if you need a “quick fix”, but remember unless it’s used with a consistent skincare routine, it’s not going to reverse the problem of dull, tired skin for you.
- What? Water.
- When? Regularly through out the day, and always first thing in the morning and last thing before bed.
- Why? Remember that on average we are made up of about 60% water, so if you are dehydrated it will be visible in your skin. One of the main reasons for dark circles under the eyes is actually not drinking enough water. If you want glowing, healthy looking skin you need to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water throughout the day. Drinking lots of water will also help your skin flush out toxins, which will in turn help reduce breakouts and blemishes. So drink up!
*This product was provided by REN Clean Skincare, however all views and opinions expressed about the product are my own. For more details about how to get your product featured email me directly at email@example.com.