It’s been a while since I did a dinner time recipe, and so I decided to put together something special in time for Friday night. Swap out the take-away this weekend for this healthy vegan aubergine masala with a tzatziki style cucumber drizzle to balance out the spice. This meal is easy to prepare and will go down a treat with everyone at the table; it’s easy to make, warm and comforting and the perfect Friday night feast dish.
- 1/2 aubergine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- basmati rice
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1-2 tsp harissa
For the drizzle:
- dairy free (unsweetened) plain yogurt
- Heat up a good drop of olive oil in a pan with 2 cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. Cut half an aubergine into small, bite-sized cubes and add to the pan; fry the aubergine until it is soft and browned. Meanwhile, boil some basmati rice in a pot with a pinch of salt.
- Next chop up the tomatoes and half a red onion and add these to the pan; reduce the heat, remove the garlic and allow the tomatoes to soften.
- Add a teaspoon or two, depending on how hot you want the sauce to be, of harissa and mix through. Add in half a jar of passata with half a cup of water. Mix everything together, bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to allow the sauce to simmer and reduce.
- Dice about a third of a full cucumber; add about a third of what you chopped into a blender with one cup of dairy free yogurt and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix the other 2/3 of diced cucumber into the yogurt.
- Once the sauce has reduced and the rice is boiled you are ready to serve; make a bed of rice with a ‘well’ in the middle, pour the aubergine sauce into the middle of the rice and finally serve with a drizzle of the cucumber yogurt.