There are many reasons that I am sad to see August 2016 come to an end, the main reason of course being that the Summer is over and life goes back to normal from next week on; the leaves are already changing and soon the days will get shorter. August has been such a busy and productive month here at La Bella; I travelled home to Ireland for a family wedding (to see my travel/airport essentials click here), got to try out and test lots of new products, especially skincare and have had a lot of time to invest in creating new content, even some YouTube videos. August has also been relatively good weather wise, and I even got to get out my denim shorts a few days.
Between the travelling, weather and blogger mail, I have accumulated quite the list of favorites this month and every product on this list has worked hard to earn it’s spot!
1. The Happiness Planner. I always buy my planner in July/August, rather than in January and so this month I was delighted to get my hands on my very own Happiness Planner! I have wanted one of these for a really long time, and hummed and hawed about whether or not they are worth the money, but myself and Giovanni have been having a lot of conversations lately about planning, and what we want from our life in the long run rather than just focusing on the now, and so it felt like a Happiness Planner would be a good fit for this period of my life. What I love about the Happiness Planner, and what sets it aside from every other planner out there, is that it is split between planning and goal setting as well as reflection; you reflect on each day and each month and therefore continuously keep yourself focused on your goals.
2. L’Oreal Sublime Bronzing Elixir. Earlier in the month I did a review of my current favourite tanning products for pale girls, and while I linked this self-tanner I didn’t mention it in the actual write up. This was in fact the self-tan that I used for the wedding in Ireland; I love it because it comes up over night and then lasts for about a week to a week and a half depending on how many times you apply it. It looks really natural and subtle, but can be more intense if you wish; just be careful applying it as it does streak if you don’t buff it in thoroughly with your mitt.
3. Clinique Clarifying Lotion. I was introduced to Clinique’s 3-step recently (read more here) and one of my favourite products from the range is the Clarifying lotion; it is a very mild and gentle exfoliator that lifts any dead skin cells still remaining after cleansing and therefore leaves your skin clean and clear, ready for fully absorbing whatever moisturiser or serum you apply after. If you follow me for a while now then you’ll know that I have a pretty comprehensive skincare routine for both day and night, and I feel like this was the missing piece that took my skincare regime from good to great; the fact that the Clarifying Lotion removes dead skin cells without being abrasive like a traditional exfoliator, means that everything you apply after works to it’s best ability and it leaves your skin looking and feeling amazing!
4. Suddenly EDP. This perfume is, believe it or nor, from Lidl; a few years ago my Dad heard a radio interview where someone was talking about a perfume from Lidl that was a great dupe for Chanel perfumes, knowing what a Chanel fragrance addict I was (and still am) he picked me up a bottle with the grocery shopping and I instantly loved it. While it’s not an identical match for Chanel, it has similar notes and the same long wear. When I was home for the Wedding we were picking up a few food items in Lidl for a little get together we were having at home, when I spotted a new version of Suddenly, Women I; this perfume is less than £10 and nearly identical to Coco Chanel, one of my favourite Chanel fragrances. I have been wearing this most days since I got it, however I feel it is a scent that is better suited to the winter months.. so there’s one reason to be excited for AW16!
5. Benefit Roller Lash. I have shared my love for this mascara many times here on La Bella, but it had been a few months since I had used it. When I opened a new tube of it at the start of the month, I fell in love with it all over again.
6. Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia EDP. This fragrance was part of my #JustBecause fragrance set from Jo Malone this month; it is not a scent that I would pick for myself and so I was surprised by how much I loved it. Just shows that sometimes trying something new pays off!
7. REN Skincare Flash Hydro Boost Instant Plumping Emulsion. I was so excited to share this product with you at the start of the month in my Hydrate your Face post; this emulsion is a new breed of skincare, that really improves the condition and appearance of your skin in a matter minutes. While I can’t say much about it’s ability to reduce the appearance of fine lines, what I will say is that this emulsion is worth buying for it’s ability to wake up your complexion and reduce the appearance of dark circles alone.
8. Clinique Blemish Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel. This was another duty-free buy this month alongside the Clarifying Lotion, and just as amazing too! This little gel really packs a punch and takes down blemishes overnight. It draws out any drops or blockages in pores and then takes down redness quickly; read more here.
9. Dr. Bronner’s Orange Ginger Organic Lip Balm. Dr. Bronner was a new brand to me this month, and one that I quickly fell in love with too. This lip balm has been sitting on my desk since I received it, it has been great to have on hand, especially in the warmer weather to keep my lips moisturised and prevent chapping. I love that it is all natural ingredients, and ginger is a natural lip plumper so that’s an added benefit.
10. Bourjois Rouge Edition Souffle de Velvet in Ravie en Rose. You may know my love for Bourjois’ matte liquid lipsticks from previous posts, so I was excited to try their knew “sheer matte” formula that launched this Summer. At first I was really disappointed with this lip colour as it is not very pigmented or very matte; this is more of a sheer lip tint and I think the name of the product is a bit misleading. However, once I got over the fact the formula was not what I expected, I found myself reaching for this colour more and more, and it has pretty much lived in my handbag all of August; this particular colour is the perfect natural lip colour for me, great for adding colour to my lips without being an in-your-face lipstick, because sometimes you need something a little more subtle… but it is NOT a ‘matte’ lip colour!
11. Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap. I featured Dr. Bronner’s soap in my Stay at Home Spa series a few weeks ago and I have really been loving and getting use out of the multipurpose soaps. I have used these as shower gel, bubble bath, hand soap, floor wash, laundry detergent and more recently to wash my make-up brushes and beauty sponges; I will definitely be repurchasing these!
12. Living Proof Dry Shampoo. I have never been a fan of dry shampoo until I was introduced to Living Proof last month at the #BigBloggersExpo; this dry shampoo doesn’t leave any residue on your hair, doesn’t feel heavy or cakey and smells amazing. Great for adding texture to your hair, or getting it through to the next wash, it also give the hair a nice natural shine rather than the dull finish that is typical with dry shampoos.
13. Heaven Skincare by Deborah Mitchell BeeBee Cream in English Rose. I didn’t expect to love this BeeBee cream as much as I did, as I am not normally a fan of BB creams or tinted moisturisers. However, this BeeBee cream has been so comfortable to wear, even on hot sunny days; it has a lovely dewy finish and stays put all day, in fact I find that the longer I have this on, the better it and my skin look to the point that I feel sad removing it at the end of the day.